Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
“In this era of #MeToo ...”
I’ve been thinking about this one a lot lately, especially since #MeToo discussion has been rather rampant in my twitter feed. As with everything, there seem to be two sides: one that takes the movement seriously and calls it long overdue, and one that laughs if off as a fad and might even tag on “In the era of #MeToo ...” flippantly to situations the authors deem trivial.

#MeToo is clearly a tag meant for survivors, being first person and all, and might not have anything to do specifically with the murdered women of Whitechapel, but concerns about women’s physical and sexual safety certainly get tied into the tag. So do dismissals with reaonsings about whether a woman was asking for it, or acting in a way that would encourage others to threaten her safety.

I also know there are plenty of dismissals about whether or not a site like this even has to exists. More than one person has shrugged (virtually or in person) to say that publishers don’t want to produce stories about the victims, since nobody reads them. (Or is it that nobody reads them because they aren’t being published? It’s a snarky question, so I haven’t actually asked it back to anyone, especially since there’s no answer.) And clearly if someone doesn’t think these sorts of discussions are necessary they’d just dismiss this site and not engage here, anyway, since this approach is pointless.

I guess what I’ve mean musing - or perhaps concerned - about is whether or not attempts like this one will be dismissed as simply taking advantage of the #MeToo movement/fad/popularity/what have you, and merely seizing the moment in order to generate ... something ... out of it. (There’s no income involved in this site, for example. It’s a purely volunteer effort by my husband for the tech side of things, for example.) I suppose it’s the idea that we might be dismissed for riding the wave only while it’s popular to do so, and currently the only solution I can think of is simply to persist.

I don’t particularly want this to be a big bringdown of “Here are all the negative things anyone has ever said to me,” but I do think we should at least acknowledge it. I don’t know about fields outside academia, but in here it’s competitive and territorial with a lot of pushback. Some days it seems like nothing more than a constant maneuvering to continually defend your ideas (and perhaps ideals) against Everyone Else, who of course thinks you’re small and stupid and worthless. And I’m hoping that this space is sort of anti-academia, where we can do things like ask questions without being looked down upon as being stupid because we don’t all share the same research focus, or where we can express concerns about representation or our research and not have to brace ourselves for immediate backlash.

In this era of #MeToo, sometimes it feels like the expression of vulnerability - especially when gendered - is simply another invitation to attack. (That’s a personal observation. Your results may vary.)
So Roxane Gay retweeted this over the weekend with "This sums up my career":

Quote:[b]N. K. Jemisin [/b]@nkjemisin
That's the thing abt being a writer from a marginalized group: we have to work harder than privileged folks to thrive. By the end of 2018 I will have published 9 books in 8 years. Lately 4 separate projects in gaming, comics, review, and editing. This is what it takes for us.

[b]Ibi Zoboi‏ [/b]@ibizoboi

Yeah. You know how there's the term 'imposter syndrome'? There should be a term for marginalized artists who are super productive while they still have the chance b/c they feel as if the doors will close any minute. Powerlessness syndrome?

... and I know I'm definitely feeling the pressure to scramble while my work seems "relevant" and "timely," even though those words also seem to get thrown around as a means of dismissing a project instead of actively listening. This isn't to deny the privileges I do have, but it's incredibly depressing to know how widespread the feeling is.
The challenges of being a “ripperologist” and how they are fighting to improve their reputation

http://www.swlondoner.co.uk/the-challeng...eputation/